Monday, October 19, 2009

Commitment to the mission of God

Binhi sang Pagtuo

October 19, 2009

Dear Centralians and Friends,

Greetings from the campus!

Yesterday, October 18, I celebrated my birthday. A friend asked how old I am, and I jokingly answered, “the age in which Jesus died on the cross.” Later, I reflected on my remark and noticed that Jesus died as a young man, yet fully confident that he has finished his mission in life.

I then remembered yesterday’s early morning incident while I was searching for my coffee mug in which I accidentally broke the handle of my wife’s mug. She said that I have to fix it. I mixed an epoxy and fixed the mug. BAM! I got a birthday message from God – Jesus was telling me, “My body was broken at 33 years old so that your broken life can be mended and used for My mission.”

During the Baccalaureate Service for the 1st Semester’s graduates at the University Church yesterday, I heard the acceptance speech of a student encouraging her fellow graduates to commit themselves to nation building especially in such a time like this. I was moved by her boldness to commit in such an endeavour.

Let me end this reflection by a poem written by Jennie Claire Adams, one of the missionaries who were executed during World War II.

“Let me live bravely;
For life has many battlefields, Where valor must be shown,
Many darkened corners, Where pain and fear are known,
Life calls for sacrifice, To share the highest good,
To serve courageously, Sometimes to give life’s blood.
As others lived and gave, Let me be brave.

Let me serve faithfully;
Content with work to do, Whatsoever life may bring,
I’m serving others well, Thus do I serve my King.
May I not weary grow, When tasks seem burdensome,
Nor turn aside distraught, Before life’s work is done.
As others served, proved true, Let me be faithful too.

Let me die heroically;
Steadfast in faith and calm, When that great day is near
Knowing no hour of dread, Feeling no anxious fear,
For death is but a door, Closed tight on pain and strife,
A door that opens up That we may enter Life.
As heroes die, Still brave and true, Let me die, too.” (Centralite, 1946, p.24)


May God bless us all!

Sincerely,

Pastor Francis Neil G. Jalando-on
Assistant Chaplain


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaplain's Office Website: http://www.cpu.edu.ph/chaplain
Audio Sermons of Binhi sang Pagtuo: http://binhi.4shared.com
Blog: http://cpuchaplain.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment