Sunday, August 2, 2009

Teach me to live my days wisely

Binhi sang Pagtuo

August 3, 2009

Dear Centralians and Friends,

Greetings from Iloilo City!

As we mourn the passing away of the first woman president of the Philippines, Cory Aquino (National Day of Mourning and non-working day on August 5, 2009), and as we continue to experience Typhoon Jolina that brought flood to Iloilo City (President Teodoro C. Robles declared no classes early this morning), our reflection for this week will center on our finitude, our mortality.

Psalm 90:10, 12 says “Our lifetime is seventy years or, if we are strong, eighty years, Teach us, then, O Lord, how short our lives really are so that we may be wise and live according to your purpose.”

When someone dies, we usually pause and reflect of when will be our appointed time to pass away also. It is on this moment that we take account of ourselves. It is on this moment of accounting when we will realize what kind of life have we lived and if we want to continue living that kind of life.

Two things to ponder upon:

First, when we know that life is short, we start living responsibly and become good stewards of our God-given resources.

The Parable of the Talents is a good reminder to all of us to invest our lives on things that can give glory to God. We have to know that life is different from existence. Life is being alive with a purpose.

Second, when we know that life is short, we start living a life that becomes a preparation for the next life.

I remember a nursery rhyme during my Sunday School years that says, “Magpili ka sining duwa, langit impierno diin ka? Mapa langit gid lang ako kay gahulat ang Ginoo.”

Let me share with you a familiar poem entitled “I Will Never Pass This Way Again

I will pass this way but once
And if there's any good that I can do
Let me do it now
For I'll never pass this way again

I will see this day but once
If there's any kindness I can show
Let me show it now
For I'll never see this day again

Tomorrow may be too late my friend
To do all the good that you planned
So reach out to those who need you
And lend them a helping hand

I will know this world but once
And if there's any love that I can give
Let me give it now
Oh Lord, please show me how
For I'll never know this world
I'll never see this day
I'll never pass this way again

May God bless us all!

Sincerely,

Pastor Francis Neil G. Jalando-on
Assistant Chaplain


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Chaplain's Office Website: http://www.cpu.edu.ph/chaplain
Audio Sermons of Binhi sang Pagtuo: http://binhi.4shared.com
Blog: http://cpuchaplain.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment